Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Cancer

Cancer has been on the front burner in my mind for the past couple of weeks. One of my co-workers is suffering through learning that his wife has stage 4 lung cancer. That's about as bad as it gets. She also has a spot of cancer in her eye and spots in her liver and some in her bones as well. She home schooled their two children who are both elementary school aged. Believe it or not, that family has been talked about quite often when I talk to God. I know they have their Faith in Jesus Christ, but this is and will be a very hard time for all of them.
I've had relatives die from cancer, and I've had relatives battle it off too. I've had I dont know how many friends/church family fight those same battles......some have won, most havent. This disease seems to attempt to rip the hope right out of people! It's like a tool of the Devil! It makes you lower than low and there is really no cure.
One of my brothers in Christ, who has gone on to be with Jesus, lost his battle with cancer several years ago. I tell our youth about him every chance I get. His name is Wilbur Sherrill, most of you probably know his son Scott Sherrill that used to work at North Meck and now works at Lake Norman High School (If you don't that's okay). Wilbur was somewhat of a missionary. He traveled to places near the equator to minister and help build churches. He went into the Appalachian Mountains to work on ASP teams. Wilbur picked apples from trees in the community and took pies to the poor and needy. Those are just a few of the things he did.
Well, Wilbur developed cancer at some point and he faught it. It just leads us to ask how a man like Wilbur can get cancer!?! I know most of the folks I know with cancer are really good folks, but Wilbur? He was like the Good of the Good.......But wait we cant forget about a friend that Wilbur knew...... Wilbur was a friend and firm believer in Jesus Christ!
One of the most moving stories I've heard and it still pulls on my heart is a story about Wilbur and a surgery he had to fight his cancer.
Wibur had this cancer surgery and was told from the start that it was very possible he may not make it through the surgery. There was a rather good chance that he would die during this pretty serious proceedure. At some point before the surgery, someone asked Wilbur if he was scared. This is the best part!!! Wilbur went on to clarify his disposition...... He told the person, No. Wilbur then proceeded to tell them about how he wasnt scared and how he was actually in a great position. That if he died during the surgery he get to go be with Jesus, but if he made it out of the surgery he gets to keep sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ and that it was a Win-Win situation.
Usually at that point I'm a blubbering mess because I remember how Wilbur served our Lord. I don't know or care to know his short comings.... I just know and remember the example of how HE served GOD!
Ya know, we just dont know why some people get cancer and others dont. We dont know why some people beat cancer and others dont........Heck we dont even know how the folks that do get cancer got it! I pray that know one you know ever gets this demon!
But here's the deal, if we go to the doctor next week and find out that we have just entered a fight for our lives..... how do we react? How will we be remembered if we loose that battle?
I hope it's how I remember Wilbur! As I leave it with you, I'm gonna leave a quote known a the John Wesley rule...... the rule of a man that was just trying to follow Jesus......
"Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can.



iki,
Lee

No comments: