Friday, January 23, 2009

The Gospel of Billy Madison....or something like that!


I guess you know now that I enjoy a good Adam Sandler movie on occassion. Well I was thinking a little while ago about the story they read in Billy Madison. The story of the lost dog...... where Billy basically lost it and got loud saying, "You dont give up! You go out there and find that %*&#*^@ DOG!!!!!" Well sometimes that's how I feel about some of my friends that are "lost". I just want to go out and find them or help them find the "Truth". I want to take an aggressive stance in leading them back to "The Good Shepard", but that's not how things necesarily work out. If I go out and hit them with everything that is on my heart with out being tactful, or flex what little bit of Biblical knowledge I have to shine a light on their sin, I've failed! My objective is not to show how I'm better than them or to pick a fight with them.... heck they are my friends!!! Why would I want to do that? On the other hand how long has it really been since anyone reading this has really heard a fire and brimstone message? Probably longer than you originally thought until you really start trying to remember. I would imagine the last Fire and Brimstone message I heard was probably sometime in the late 70's early 80's and that was when there was a revival at the church and we had a guest preacher! Maybe we all need to think about that message for a moment. As a Christian this message of the possiblity of Hell should have an immediate answer. If I am truly what I say I am, I know that this Earth will be the ONLY Hell I will ever experience. It also should awaken some that have pushed God away, either exploring other options or just getting comfortable with the world. I admit, it's scarey thinking about an eternal seperation from God. And no I dont even consider the joke about, "I'm going to Hell and party with my friends" to be the least bit funny..... you see that's just a lack of understanding. There are no parties in Hell or atleast not by anyone other than Satan.
Now I may have friends that have known Christ and pushed Him away or even just flat out denied Him, and feel that they can not be forgiven for that. Well boys and girls I've got good news!!!! Do y'all remember that Boy named Peter from the Bible? Yeah, the guy that cut off one of the ears of a guard when he arrested Jesus in the garden. Yeah, that same guy that was the only one to walk on the water with Jesus. I'd say Peter knew Jesus pretty well and had accepted who Jesus was, wouldnt you? Well if you remember Peter also denied Jesus THREE times just before the Crucifxion. After the resurection, Jesus met up with Peter again. Jesus asked Peter, "Do you Love me"? And He asked this three times (see a pattern?) Jesus decreased the amount of love each time, while Peter increased the amount each time. Peter answered on the third time "I Agape You". With each time of repentance, Jesus gave Peter more responsibility. First Jesus said feed my lambs, then Feed my Sheep, then Tend My Flock.......Three times, Three repentances, and Three increases in Responsibility. Oh yeah, didnt Peter have over 3000 converts shortly after that at just one of his sermons? I know it seems just too easy..... In a world that is Dawg eat Dawg, how can something SO important be so easy? Because it's NOT of this WORLD! It's of GOD! We all know that we've ALL messed up, and that includes Sweet lil Lee!!! But ya know just by taking it all back to Jesus, and admitting that we have messed up ( or we are Sinners), that we can't make it on our own, that we need Jesus to enter our hearts and cleanse us of our many sins, and that We Believe Jesus Is Our Lord and Saviour....... We will all be together again in Heaven. The real question doesnt deal with is there life after death. Life is eternal, you just have to pick where you want to spend eternity!
I'm always available to discuss this and to pray for or with anyone that needs it. Just let me know!
Peace
Lee

No comments: