Saturday, January 31, 2009

Old Friends, Old Bridges, and the Fire that Refines


I have been Blessed to be able to relive certain parts of my life. Even though at times these re-living moments are a struggle, I'm appreciative. I'm fortunate enough to get to struggle through college classes that I totally and completely bombed when I was younger. With some of this re-living comes old memories as well. I think of old friends and some good times we had. I also think of some folks I hung out with that are probably dead or serving very long sentences at the Gray Bar Hotel. Out of all of those old memories there are many folks I dont talk to anymore. Not because I dont like the folks, but more because of the seperation that time has given us. I know some of the friends and I parted on less than ideal terms. I've even made contact with some of the old friends through sites like Facebook, and you know what ever ill feeling we had in the past is forgotten and I find myself completely rejoicing in their beautiful families and wonderful accomplishments. I'm sure I didnt feel that way when went our seperate ways. Some of the reasons I remember and most I have forgotten. I dont know if that's because of my faith, the period of a wild lifestyle I lived, or if all in all the reason just really wasnt important.....it probably could be a little bit of all of those!
Now I often tell some of the young people I'm around, that sometimes you have to seperate yourself from certain people. I always stress that if they can "pull" them up, out of where they may be stumbling or have stumbled then that's okay.... but if they seem to Drag them down, it might be time to let go and allow some distance from that person. If we look at Jesus, who did he Hang out with?..... No He didnt!!! He hung out with His disciples! He ministered to and served the prostitute, the lepers, the blind, and all of those other folks, but He didnt hang out with them....at least not until after they allowed Jesus to "Pull" them up. Yeah the disciples were a rough crowd too.... But they allowed Jesus to pull them up as well. Now look at the Pharisees they started off being amazed at the Authority Jesus taught with (which is not that amazing considering He ultimately wrote the Book!!!!!). Then they wanted to kill Jesus..... and Jesus didnt "Hang out" with those guys, although he continued to be in corresponding places with them. At one point in the Bible, Jesus even told His disciples that if they were not helped or accepted in these towns they visited to shake the dust off of their sandels as they left. That's Bold! and that's one of those bridges I mentioned in the title.....and yes that is also the fire.......That bridge is TOAST!!!!
You know I've been on both sides of that bridge. I've burnt those bridges and I have had them burned ( some I was still standing on at the time). I can truly say that God is good, because some of those bridges needed to Burn to help me and the others involved change direction and to teach us life lessons. So it's okay to burn some bridges..........
Now here is another reason I wrote this.... A friend of mine that I met last summer, Passed Away last weekend. He was 62 years old and he Blessed me and some of the Youth Group by allowing us to serve him through ASP. Roger was a good hearted man dispite his troubles and vices. You see the Bridge between Roger and his Son had Burned. His son found my phone number in a letter and pictures I had sent Roger. So upon his death the son called me. We talked for quite a while on the phone and the Son told me that he had not seen his Dad in years, because of his Dad's vices. As we talked, the Son relived my experiences with me and remembered how his Dad did have a good heart. He told me how he had been with his Dad the whole time he was in the hospital and I reassured him that he was the one Roger wanted there with him......and I knew this from just some of the conversations Roger and I had last summer. I dont remember them exactly, but I remember him talking about his son, and I could tell he missed him. But you see, a bridge that had been burned earlier in their lives was repaired when they both needed it to be. The two spent 3 full days together before Rogers passing, and I know it's not the best memories to have with your Dad....but Brian knows now that his Dad did love him...... Pray for Brian..... I told him we'd be praying for him.
Okay so I just went off on too many directions......... but if you have a bridge that has been burned, and you know you things have changed, repair it or just build a completely new one.
Peace y'all.... before I start talking politics or something!!!!

No comments: