Thursday, July 10, 2008

What if the Road you're on is the Detour?

I traveled down a long highway more than once, only to find out I was going the wrong way. Sometimes I stopped and turned around, other times I took turns off the main route, other times I just continued aimlessly. The last choice sometimes seems like the best of the choices, I know, I've made that one. When I was 18 or 19 years old I dropped out of school. College just wasnt right for me. I basically followed the "good times" and spent a whole lot of money. I remember times I rolled pennies and hooked all my homies up with $.30 draught. I met so many people and partied so hard, I thought I was on the right path.....it was fun!!.... that's what's important right? If it feels good do it?! So I did. Sometimes one of my friends and I talk about the old days and think about just how easily we could've been "locked up"..... but we werent. I worked my way into better jobs that paid more, so I spent more and partied more. I finally ended up working for a Beer Distributor in Charlotte and made a pretty decent salary. By this time I was pissed off everyday (deep down inside). I met people that really didnt fit in with who I really was.....you know, the one I had lost somewhere along the way. I started dating my wife while I was working for "The King". By the time we got married I had started to get back involved in my church. After the wedding we both became involved in the Youth Group at church. Yeah who would have thought! I had two people put in my path that absolutely lit me on fire from that point, Both were Youth! One of our youth at church challenged me every week. Every week she would come in with a different question and she wanted an answer. Many weeks all I could tell her was, "I dont know, but I'll find out". The more she asked me, the more I learned and wanted to learn about my faith. Finally we went to a Youth Rally at Lake Junaluska and the Methodists were doing alter calls! Yeah Shocked the poo out of me too! One particular night the good pastor asked a question just before the alter call. He said turn to someone beside you and ask, "Is this the Jesus you'd like to know". Well I looked around and so many of our youth were going up and I kinda got a little teary eyed. I turned to my right and there was a little boy at the very end of the row next to the isle, completely chomping at the bit for someone to ask him. People kept walking by and I remember thinking how cool it was to see this kid right before he was going up. I turned to my left and looked at my wife.... you know just to see if she thought all this was cool too, but all she said to me was, "Are you going to ask him"? Being all knowing as I am, replied with, "ask who"? As I turned back to my right I realized this kid had covered the distance of about 14 chairs and was now about 6 inches from me looking up at me. I turned back to my wife and told her "I can't remember what I'm supposed to ask", and she kindly responded, "Ask whatever your heart tells you". Well that was it! I asked this little boy a question as closely to the correct question as I could. As I asked, He began to cry and answered YES! My Life made a Big Change!
I like to think back on that part of my story now. It's been a little over 4 years now and I've learned that some how I made it from the "Dead End" to a Detour to the Road I should've been on all along. It's awesome how the drunken prayers I prayed, the prayers when I was lost, the prayers others prayed for me got me back to where I could build on a Christian Foundation that had been poured so many years before.
Some one told me when I was young I'd be rich one day.....which I translated into millions of dollars by a certain age, but now I get it! My wife and I live on a meager income and are becoming better stewards of what God has and is giving us.
Before I end tonight I want to encourage my friends to examine where they are in their journey and if they are living in a way that satisfies their inner most ambitions. These are most likely the things God has gifted you to do and will satisfy you the most. As always I am available anytime to talk. So if you have a burning passion and you're not sure if it's right get in touch with me.
At this time I'd like to Thank my Family, my wife, my church, Shelly, and the little boy I've only seen once! Thanks for doing Gods work in leading me back to Him!
Peace,
Lee

No comments: